1# black beans
1 ham hock
1 qt. Chicken stock
1/4# Chorizo, sliced 1/2" thick
1 oz olive oil
1/2# minced onion
1/2 oz minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 oz white wine
1/2 oz cider vinegar
1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper To Taste
1. Soak beans overnight in water
2. Simmer beans in stock with ham hocks until both are tender. Remove ham hocks (meat can be diced and returned to soup, if desired.)
3. Sautee chorizo, onions and garlic in the oil. Add along with cumin, chili powder, and thyme to soup and simmer 10 minutes. Add more stock as needed to thin soup.
4. Add white wine, vinegar, diced tomatoes and cilantro. Simmer 5 minutes and adjust seasoning.
5. Garnish each bowl with a spoonful of sourcream and sprinkle with chives and a sprinkle of chili powder.