* 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
* 4 Bacon slices diced
* 1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
* 2 tablespoons Minced fresh green pepper
* 1 teaspoon Salt
* 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
* 3 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
* 1/4 cup Hot water
Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems; set aside.
Fry bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. In bacon drippings, saute onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Add salt and pepper.
Soften cream cheese; blend in cooked bacon and vegetables. Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding a bit. Place bread crumbs in a small bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the bread crumbs to coat tops. Place in a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Add hot water to pan and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms.