You will need a pressure cooker for this –
1 cup Split Peas
5 cups hot water
1 onion (cut half moon shaped)
2 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces diagonally
2 celery stalks cut like carrots
1 garlic clove
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds/ gomashio
Salt to taste
2 tsp oregano
2-3 inch kombu
1 tbsp miso paste (Dilute it with water)
1 tbsp barley or brown rice
1. wash the split peas
2. Soak the seaweed kombu in water. It will increase in length in a few minutes.
3. in a pressure cooker, put some oil, sauté onion, garlic, sesame seeds
4. add bay leaves and continue stirring
5. Once the onions are softer, add carrots, celery, herbs. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes
6. Add the barley, split peas and water to the veggies in the pressure cooker
7. Cover the pressure cooker and let it cook in between medium and low heat. Wait for 3-4 whistles
8. once the pressure is released, open the lid and check for consistency of the soup. Should be thick enough. Now add the diluted miso to the cooked soup and stir for 1 minute on very slow heat, since miso might coagulate in heat. Turn off the heat and ready to eat!
Enjoy with Sourdough bread!