* 1/2 cup (64 g) cornstarch
* 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) cream of tartar
* 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
* 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water
* 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh lemon juice + orange juice
* 2 tablespoons (25 g) margarine
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated lemon zest
* 3 large eggs, separated
* 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
* 1 9-inch (22.5 cm) fresh or frozen pie shell, baked and cooled Meringue
* 1/4 teaspoon (1,25 ml) cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
1. In a nonstick medium saucepan combine cornstarch, cream of tartar, and salt. Whisk in water and lemon juice.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and lemon zest; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks until lemon colored. Whisk at least half of the hot cornstarch mixture into eggs. Stir this mixture into remaining mixture in saucepan, blending well. Return pan to medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4. Cool slightly. Pour filling into baked pie crust.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), Gas Mark 4.
6. To make the meringue: In a small mixer bowl, combine egg whites (works best at room temperature) and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until froth. Add vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over lemon filling, sealing well around the edge of the crust. If desired, swirl peaks by lifting up some of the meringue with the back of a spoon.
7. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until meringue is golden brown. Cool before serving. Refrigerate leftovers for no more than 2 days.
ADD PURE ORANGE JUICE IF NOT SWEET ENOUGH!
* 153 calories (54% calories from fat),
* 3 g protein,
* 9 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat),
* 14 g carbohyrate, 0 dietary fiber,
* 64 mg cholesterol,
* 152 mg sodium
Recipe Courtesy of SugarTwin® Spoonable (modified).