3 lb (1.5 kg) boneless skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
2 cups (500 mL) pearl onions, peeled (1 bag/284 g)
2 cups (500 mL) button mushrooms (8 oz/250 g)
1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
Pinch each salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) dry red wine
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken stock
2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
1 tbsp (15 mL) Cognac or brandy (optional)
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Puff Pastry Stars:
1 pkg (397 g) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1. If using chicken breasts, cut crosswise in half. In shallow Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, in batches, about 10 minutes. Remove to plate.
2. Drain fat from pan; reduce heat to medium. Add pearl onions and mushrooms; fry until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to separate plate. Add remaining butter to pan; fry chopped onions, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf until onions are softened, about 8 minutes.
3. .Add wine, stock, tomato paste, and Cognac (if using); bring to boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
4. Return mushroom mixture to pan; simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until reduced to consistency of maple syrup and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Scrape into casserole; refrigerate until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in 350°F/180°C oven, about 30 minutes.)
5. Puff Pastry Stars: On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Using star-shaped cutters of various sizes, cut out stars. Place on baking sheet; brush with egg. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Garnish Coq au Vin with stars.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: about 556 cal, 42 g pro, 29 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 29 g carb, 2 g fibre, 152 mg chol, 434 mg sodium. % RDI: 4% calcium, 25% iron, 7% vit A, 15% vit C, 21% folate.