4 farmed catfish fillets, 6 ounces each
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
11/4 teaspoons salt
11/2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/4 cup white vermouth
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 thin slices ham
1. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk.
2. In a medium dish, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
3. Dredge fillets in flour mixture, dip in milk mixture, then dredge again in flour mixture, making sure to cover both sides thoroughly.
4. Pour vegetable oil to 3 inches deep in dutch oven. Fry fillets about six minutes, or until golden brown. Remove fillets, blot dry and keep warm.
5. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook about 30 seconds, stirring often. Stir in vermouth, bring to boil and cook for one minute.
6. Add whipping cream, 2 tablespoons green onions, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining pepper, stirring often, about 12 to 15 minutes or until thick.
7. Arrange catfish on a plate and drizzle with sauce. Top with ham and remaining green onions.
(Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com)
~ Erin Kiley, NRDC program assistant, Santa Monica