1 package (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (about 110°F)
2 Tbsp. lite buttery spread, melted (such as Promise Activ)
2 Tbsp. dark molasses
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
Vegetable oil to grease the bowl and pans
2 Tbsp. water
Makes 2 loaves/16 servings per loaf
Serving size : 1 (a-inch) slice
(about 1 oz.)
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Rising time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and d cup of the water. Set aside for 10 minutes until the yeast becomes active and looks frothy.
2. Add the melted butter, molasses, salt, flour, and cornmeal. Add in the remaining water, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Use enough water to form a soft but not overly sticky dough. (You may need extra water.) Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand for about 15 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl. Shape the dough into a large ball. Add the dough to the bowl and turn over so the entire ball has a film of oil on the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and then a tea towel, and place in a draft-free spot. Let the dough double in volume, about 1 hour.
4. Lightly oil two (9 1/2- by 5-inch) loaf pans. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in the pans. Cover with plastic wrap, then a tea towel, and place in a draft-free spot for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the egg and water and brush the top of the loaves with a pastry brush. Bake the loaves for 1 hour until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pans. Turn the loaves out and let them cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Starch exchanges 1
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0.2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 80 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 3 g