• 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed, diced
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds, freshly ground
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 3 cups tomato sauce (1-29oz can)
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
• 1 1/2 cups diced onion
• Pinch kosher salt
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• 1 cup shredded Queso fresco
• 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
• ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• Nonstick cooking spray
• Sour cream to garnish
Combine the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper
in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for
15 minutes or until the chiles are soft. Set aside until ready to use.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken until
cooked through, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. (Usually takes two batches) Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a medium bowl. Add the onions to the same pan along with a generous pinch of salt,
decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano
and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the chicken back to the pan
and remove from the heat.
Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup of the sauce into
the bottom of the dish. Dip 4 tortillas into the remaining sauce and lay them into the bottom of
the dish. Cut 1 of the tortillas in half to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Top this with 1/3
of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of the cheese. Starting with 4 more tortillas, repeat the
layers, ending with the last 4 tortillas on top. Pour remaining sauce over the dish and top with
remaining 1 cup of cheese and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove the
Foil, top with cilantro and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbly.
Serve with a dollop of Sour Cream on top.