3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten with
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons strong coffee (I used three tablespoons hot water with 1 tablespoon instant coffee)
1. Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12-cup cupcake/muffin tin with liners.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well using whisk.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and coffee. Blend until there are only a few small lumps left.
4. Scoop into lined cupcake tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until the centers spring back when lightly pressed. (*18-20 minutes if using a convection oven)
5. Cool for three minutes in the pan before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.