• 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
• 2 red bell peppers*
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil + enough to lightly coat peppers
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* I prefer to use my own freshly roasted bell peppers. You can use jarred roasted red (bell) peppers if you don’t want to take the time to do your own. Using pre-roasted peppers will save you about 10 minutes total time, but they won’t taste quite as fresh or sweet.
Preheat oven to 475°. Cut fresh red bell peppers vertically in quarters. Remove seeds, rinse, and lightly coat with olive oil. Place skin side up on baking tray. Place in oven and cook until skin blisters on peppers and becomes charred (don't burn). Remove peppers and place in paper bag. Roll up open end of bag to seal it closed and set aside for peppers to steam for about 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the diced avocados, scallions, and garlic. In another bowl, whisk together the orange and lime juices, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
Remove bell peppers from paper bag. Place on large plate and peel skin from peppers. Dice. Add to avocado mixture. Pour orange mixture over avocado mixture and gently toss. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.