(1) Prep: dice 2/3 of the shallots and slice the rest; peel the baby potatoes
(2) Sauce: take two sticks of salted butter and dump into sauce pan (medium-low heat ... remember butter burns easy) ... then place the dice shallots into the pan ... wait until they are thoroughly caramelized (i.e. golden brown color)
...when caramelized, dump an entire container of sour cream - mix well, the sauce should be a light brown color - put lid on top and wait for 5 minutes.
(3) Whole chicken: basically, when the sauce is done - you mix the sauce with fresh tarragon (or tarragon herb oil) and baby potatoes. you fill the interior of the gutted chicken with the sauce until the body is bulging. then sew the chicken shut. there should still be a lot of sauce left ...
(4) Put a stick of butter in a crock pot ... place pot in oven (heat to 350F) ... after about 2 minutes, bring pot back out ... place whole chicken in the crock pot, and then assort the remaining sauce along with the sliced shallots around the chicken.
(5) Put the sucker back into the oven bake at 350F for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs ... and holy shit after an hour you'll start smelling fantabulous things.
(6) The dish in and of itself is sufficient since there are carbs/vegs/meat ... serve with some Pinot Blanc.