3/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves, pinch salt
1/2 cup of ground unblanched almonds
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup of red-raspberry jam
1/4 cup of applesauce (optional)
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
1. Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Grease a cookie sheet, and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, sinnamon, cloves and salt. Add almonds and lemon peel; stir to mix.
3. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture has an even coarse texture. Stir in the egg, and mix until dough holds together.
4. Divide dough in half; wrap each in wax paper. Chill for 1 hour.
5. On a lightly floured surface, using a stockinette-covered rolling pin, roll half of the dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut with scalloped side of cutter (with the center set to cut a solid cookie). Lift carefully, and place on cookie sheet. Place 1/2 teaspoon of jam in center of each cookie - keep 1/2 inch clear around the edge of the cookie. (If a less sweet filling is desired, mix jam with applesauce until smooth; use as above.)
6. Roll the second half of dough 1/8 inch thick, and cut with scalloped side of cutter, set to cut out the middle of the cookie. Remove the centers, and place rings on top of jam-covered cookies. Brush tops with egg-yolk mixture.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes about 20 cookies.