2 cups fresh, smallish strawberries, cut in two
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350F
1. Mix the brown sugar and water together.
2. Place the strawberries in an 8-inch square casserole or cake pan and pour the water/sugar over them.
3. Cream the butter and sugar.
4. Mix the egg into the butter/sugar mixture until well blended.
5. In another bowl stir the flour, baking powder and salt together.
6. Alternatively add the flour and milk to the egg/butter mixture.
7. Spoon the batter on top of the strawberries. Place in oven and bake for 35 to 50 minutes (or possibly longer) until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before cutting. Serve warm with a bit of cream drizzled on top.