4 medium zucchini
4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsps oregano
2 tbsps thyme
2 tbsps basil
1 cup basic tomato sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Trim zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon or a melon baller, remove the flesh, making a canal down the center of each half, leaving a 1/4 inch all around and the ends closed. Place in an oven-proof dish. Roughly chop the excess zucchini flesh and set aside.
- In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until smoking. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt, and cook over medium-high heat until softened. Add the zucchini pieces, the ground beef, the oregano, thyme, and basil and cook until beef is just cooked through, seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.
- Drain the fat and place the entire mixture in a large bowl. Add the eggs and tomato sauce and mix well.
- Season the zucchini boats with salt and pepper and stuff with the beef mixture, piling it high. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp on top and remove. Let cool before serving.