1. Remove the bone & outer rind from the ribs. Cut into 1cm slices.
2. Place sugar in a wok with 2tbs water & stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase to medium heat & boil, without stirring, for 5mins, or until the sugar turns an even, golden brown.
3. Add pork & shallots and stir to coat. Add fish sauce, kecap manis, pepper & 1 cup of warm water. Stir until any hard bits of sugar have melted.
4. Cover & cook for 10mins, stirring occasionally, then cook, uncovered & stirring often, for 20-30mins, or until the sauce is sticky & the meat is cooked.
5. Garnish with coriander & serve with rice.