1 ¾ cups of basmati rice
3 tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 onion – chopped
2 garlic cloves – crushed
3 cups vegetable stock or water
2/3 cup fresh or drained canned sweet corn kernels
[I used the same quantity of sweet peas. If frozen, cook]
½ red pepper – seeded and chopped
1 large carrot – grated
1. Rinse rice under cold water and drain. Place rinsed rice in a bowl with cold water and soak for about 30 minutes, then drain. Let the rice sit in the sieve for about 5 to 10 minutes to drain completely.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for a few minutes over a medium heat until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more. Don’t burn the garlic.
3. Add the rice and fry for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the rice sticking to the pan.
4. Pour in the stock or water and stir well. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Option: While the rice is cooking, you may want to fry the red pepper in a small amount of butter. [I don’t like raw pepper so I do this.]
6. After the 10 minutes, scatter the corn or peas, chopped pepper and carrot on the top of the rice. Fold over a few times to distribute the veggies through out the rice. Cover the saucepan and let the rice and veggies steam from the residual heat from the element for about 4 to 5 minutes. Make sure the element is turned off.