6 tbsp pearl barley, rinsed
1 1/3 cups water
4 large red, green and/or yellow bell peppers
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3/4 lb ground skinless turkey breast (or chicken)
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp sliced (or slivered) almonds
1. Combine barley and water in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender (~35 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cut 1/4" off the tops of bell peppers, core and seed them.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the peppers.
6. Cook peppers for 3 minutes, then drain. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
7. Preheat oven to 375 F.
8. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and set over medium heat. Add the onion and celery; cook while stirring frequently until softened (~3 minutes).
9. Add turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until browned (~2 minutes).
10. Add 1/4 cup broth, mustard, caraway seeds, salt and ground pepper.
11. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces to a glaze (~2 minutes).
12. Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cooked barley, raisins and almonds.
13. Stuff the turkey filling into each bell pepper.
14. Place stuffed peppers in a 9" square baking dish.
15. Pour remaining 1 cup broth around the peppers.
16. Bake until peppers and filling are cooked through (~30 minutes).
17. Carefully transfer the stuffed peppers to 4 plates using 2 large spoons to support the bottom of each pepper as you pick it up.
18. Discard the sauce in the dish.
1 stuffed pepper = 1 serving
292 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g Sat. fat, 0 g Trans fat, 51 mg Cholesterol, 545 mg Sodium, 7 g Fibre, 24 g Protein, 60 mg Calcium
Weight Watchers Points Value = 5 pts per stuffed pepper
** Adapted from Weight Watchers "My TurnAround Program Cookbook"**