* A couple of handfuls of red lentils (about 1 cup). Any other lentils will do, as well.
* 3-4 cups of water
* Salt to taste
* 2-3 teaspoons Turmeric
* 1-2 large onions
* 1-2 green chilis
* 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
* 1-2 small cloves fresh garlic, minced
* 3-4 tomatoes, diced
* 1/8 cup chopped coriander leaf (cilantro)
* 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed
* 2 teapoon whole cumin seed
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup shaved coconut or small can of coconut milk [optional]
Cook lentils and turmeric in water until lentils are completely soft. About 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute onions, chilis, ginger, and garlic. When soft, add diced tomatoes. Continue cooking until mixture appears homogenous.
Add onion-tomato mixture to lentils. While over low flame, add corainder leaf.
In a small pan, heat oil. Toast mustard seed and cumin seed in oil until fragrant. Add to lentil mixture.
Serve dal hot over rice or as side dish.
I like to slightly puree the dal just prior to serving, either w/a
Thunderstick right into the pot, or a blender/food processor.