1 medium eggplant
2 beaten eggs
1/3 c. finely grated old cheddar cheese OR parmesan cheese OR romano cheese
1 1/2 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. finely grated onion
cracked black pepper, to taste
sea salt, to taste
1 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
1. Slice eggplant & sprinkle with salt.
2. Let sit at least 10 minutes to draw out water.
3. Rinse and pat dry.
4. Saute on stovetop with a splash of olive oil and about 1/4 cup water (or more if needed) until eggplant is soft.
5. Set eggplant aside to cool on a plate. Once cool, chop up finely, or pulse for a few seconds in a food processor or blender or Magic Bullet until all pieces of eggplant are more or less broken down.
6. Mix eggplant with everything but the breadcrumbs.
7. Then add breadcrumbs and mix until you get the
consistency you want to form the balls.
8. Place in a generously olive oiled pan about 1 inch apart and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
9. Turn halfway through baking to ensure even browning. When turning them over, reduce the heat to 250 degrees if they look like they may be about to burn.
10. Serve immediately, on spaghetti with spaghetti sauce surrounding them (if you smother them in the sauce it's possible that they might fall apart).