A broad frying pan (preferably non-stick) with lid.
Eggplant (ofcourse)- 1 (6 if you use small round ones)
Vegetable/sunflower oil - a lot
Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds- 1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder- 1 tea spoon
Coriander powder- 2 tea spoons
Ginger paste or powder- 1 tea spoon
Garlic paste or powder- 1 tea spoon
Cinnamon- small piece
Peanut paste (not sweet)- 4-6 teaspoons
Red Chilli powder or crushed chillis - depending on your taste
Salt - depending on your taste
Garam masala or curry powder - 2 tea spoons
1. Make a paste out of peanut and tomatoes. You can add pizza tomaten (250ml) instead of fresh tomatoes. Use your hands or a blender to thoroughly mix peanut and tomatoes. Add ginger, garlic, coriander and garam masala (or curry powder) and mix thoroughly. (This step is the most important)
2. Cut onions into small pieces (tip: soak them in water to prevent tears) and eggplant into square pieces (if you use small round ones then make each into 4 pieces)
3. Add oil to the frying pan so that it is evenly spread across pan.
4. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, clove, cinnamon and chilli until mustard seeds start to splatter (jumping around).
5. Add cut onions to this and mix nicely so that onions are well separated and then add turmeric powder.
6. Wait 2-3 minutes until onions are somewhat fried.
7. Add more oil now and add cut eggplant and salt and mix well.
8. Eggpant consumes a lot of oil so keep adding if the pan is dry.
9. Keep mixing the eggplants every 3-4 minutes.
10. After about 15 minutes or so, add the paste you made in step 1.
11. Mix the contents well, add 100 ml water and cover the pan with a lid. Put the heating plate on medium.
12. Now, every 5 minutes remove the lid and mix well.
13. After about 15 minutes, you can taste to see if the salt is alright.
14. Do as in step 12 and if you think the skin of the eggplant is soft enough to chew (it should not be leathery) then remove the lid and cook until the oil leaves the eggplant.
15. If eggplant is not soft and there is no water in the pan then add more water (50ml) and close the lid. Repeat step 14 until it is done.