2 lb Fish Fillets;
12 ea New Potatoes; Small, 1 lb
1/3 c Flour; Unbleached
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1/4 c Olive Or Vegetable Oil
1 ea Onion; Large, Sliced
1 ea Clove Garlic; Minced
15 oz Tomato Puree; 1 can
1/2 c Pimento Stuffed Olives;
1/4 c Water
1 Tbs Lime Juice
1 ea Pickled Jalapeno Pepper;
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/8 tsp Cinnamon; Ground
1/8 tsp Cloves; Ground
1 ea Bay Leaf
1. Thaw the fish fillets if frozen. :Use large Red Snapper or other fish fillets cut into 6 serving pieces in this recipe:
2. In a covered pan, cook the potatoes in enough boiling salted water to cover for about 15 minutes or until nearly tender; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and set aside.
3. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat fish fillets on both sides with the seasoned flour mixture.
4. In a large skillet, cook fish fillets in hot oil for about 5 minutes per side or until done. Remove fillets from the skillet and set aside.
5. Drain off the remaining oil, reserving 1 Tbls. In the same skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the reserved oil until tender but not brown.
6. Add the tomato puree, olives, water, lime juice, jalapeno pepper (if used), sugar, cinnamon, cloves and the bay leaf mixing well.
7. Add the potatoes, bring to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
8. Add the fish fillets and cook about 5 minutes or until fish fillets are heated through.
9. Remove the bay leaf. Arrange the fish fillets and potatoes on a serving platter, spoon the sauce over all.