For the pumpkin tart
1 pack ready-made sweet tart pastry, rolled to 5mm/¼in thick
500g/1lb 2oz pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into large chunks
2 free-range eggs
110g/4oz caster sugar
50g/2oz ground almonds
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp dried ground ginger
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
200ml/7fl oz single cream
For the ginger cream
200ml/7fl oz double cream
3 tbsp stem ginger syrup from a jar
25g/1oz stem ginger from a jar, finely chopped
icing sugar, for dusting
fresh mint sprig, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/385F/Gas 5.
2. Line a 23cm/9in tart case with the sweet pastry, line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Place into the oven and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the beans or rice and baking paper and return to the oven to bake for a further ten minutes, or until the base of the tart has become golden brown and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, place the pumpkin into the top of a steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the steamer and allow to cool.
4. Place the pumpkin into a food processor and blend to a purée.
5. Place the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
6. Add the ground almonds, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and single cream and whisk to combine.
7. Add the puréed pumpkin and stir to mix well.
8. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pastry tart and place into the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the filling has set. Remove from the oven and cool for at least one hour.
9. For the ginger cream, place the double cream, syrup and stem ginger into a bowl and whisk until soft peaks are formed when the whisk is removed.
10. To serve, cut a slice of tart and place it onto a plate. Place a spoonful of ginger cream on the top, dust with icing sugar and garnish with a sprig of mint.