This is a desert, in American terms, also known as "Nasionale Poeding" in Afrikaans.
* Put 6 cups of Water and 2 cups of sugar in a large pot (with a lid) on the stove over a medium heat so that the sugar can dissolve.
* While that is going on, stir together the following:
* 2 Eggs
* 2 tablespoons of soft butter/margarine
* 4 tablespoons of Apricot Jam
# Sift together the following:
* 2 cups Flour
* 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
* 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon Salt
# Add this to the butter mixture, but do not mix all the way through (this will make the next step easier).
# Dissolve 3 teaspoons of Baking Soda in 1/4 cup Milk and add this to the dough.
# Now you can mix it through.
# Bring the sugar water to a boil and add tablespoons of the soft dough to the boiling syrup. These will float and when the surface is full, just drop the next spoons of dough in between.
# Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to a low simmer - NEVER LIFT THE LID OFF THE POT !!!
# Guard the pot for 30 minutes (family members are bound to be drawn to the smell and will want to come and peek under the lid!).
# You can serve the desert just as it is, or you can add some hot or cold custard (write to me if you do not know how to make this), or thick cream. It even tastes very good cold.