• 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
• 1 tbsp peanut oil
• ¾ cups finely chopped yellow onion
• 8 oz. turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into ½ inch pieces
• 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp crushed red pepper
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tbsp cider vinegar
• 1 (28 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
• Mustard greens, kale, or collard greens (10 oz), coarsely chopped
Sort and wash peas; set aside.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage, cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
Stir in broth; bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen brown bits. Stir in peas, salt, peppers, and bay leaves. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas start to soften. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.
Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and greens of choice; simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.