2 tablespoons olive oil
30 grams butter or a little more olive oil
1 onion chopped
400 grams chicken fillet cubed (breast or thigh)
Small amount of bacon (optional)
2 cups of vegetables, ie. Mushrooms, or some left over roast pumpkin or kumara, zucchini, keep it simple stick to one or two kinds of vegetable though.
2 cups of arborio rice
5 cups of chicken stock
Parmesan cheese (fresh grated) ½ to 1 cup
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan you can cover (with a lid!) add your chicken (bacon if you have it) and onion and cook until browned.
2. Add butter and any uncooked soft veg (mushrooms, zucchini etc.) at this time, and add rice, cook for two or three minutes, stirring a little over a medium heat until the rice takes on a pearly creamy shine in the oil/butter.
3. Add the stock! Yes in one hit. Just stir while you bring it to the boil.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, if you’re like me you will have to lift the lid occasionally for a peek, there is no shame in that! but the occasional stir is all it will need until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
5. Just before serving, stir in any cooked vegies (if you’ve decided on a roast pumpkin or kumara risotto- roasted parsnip would be nice with it too)when your vegetables are nice and warm, remove from heat and stir in your parmesan ½ to 1 cup fresh grated, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
For a version to satisfy the grown ups substitute 1 cup of stock for white wine.
To look smart for entertaining, scatter some chopped flat leaf parsley across the top.
Don't be too worried about quantities, this is one you can play around with abit, just as long as your liquid ie. stock/wine and rice are the amounts I've suggested.