1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. instant espresso powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup cashews, toasted and chopped
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or oil them lightly with vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and espresso powder. Mix well, stopping once to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix into the creamed butter mixture, scraping again. Stir in the cashews and chocolate chips.
4. Scoop the cookie dough into large (1/4 cup) balls, arranging them at least 2 inches apart, 8 on each baking sheet. Bake until the cookies are just flat, 20-25 mins. turning and rotating the baking sheets as necessary for even baking.
5. Let cool about 10 mins. before transferring from the baking sheet to the cooling rack.