• 2 cups (1/2 inch) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (or any orange fleshed-squash)
• 1 ½ cups (1/2 inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 medium)
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 cup diced onion (1 small)
• 1/3 cup diced celery (about 1 rib)
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• 4 cups fat free, less sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup brown rice
• 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 bay leaf
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Arrange pumpkin and sweet potato in an even layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until tender and just until vegetables begin to brown, stirring after 18 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth and remaining ingredients to onion mixture, stirring to combine; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until rice is done and liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Add pumpkin mixture; stir gently to combine.