1. Spread hazelnuts on rimmed baking sheet. Toast in a 350 degree F oven, watching carefully to preven burning or overbrowning, for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to two clean dish towls and rub until the skins slip off. Chop finely and set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with honey until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
3. Slit vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into a medium saucepan. Add vanilla pod, milk and cream. Place saucepan over medium-low heat and bring just to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let stand for 15 minutes, allowing the flavor of the vanilla to infuse.
4. Discard pod. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
5. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
6. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Add hazelnuts in the last 5 minutes of freezing and let machine stir them in.