1 large egg - lightly beaten
half bowl of flour
half bowl of water
1 strip pork belly
1 can bamboo shoots, sliced finely
2-3 whole turnips, sliced finely
2 pcs tau kwa, fried and sliced finely
1 rice bowl small prawns
2 tbsps chopped garli
1 tbsp taucheo
Black soya sauce
1 crab, boiled and shredded
1 bunch coriander leaves
6 Fresh Red Chillies
5 cloves garlic
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp light soya sauce
Juice from 6 limes
1. Lightly beat 1 large egg, adding flour and water bit by bit, until it becomes batter. Add some salt.
2. Heat up a pot of oil with the kueh pie tee mould. When the oil and mould are both heated up, dip the mould halfway into the batter.
3. Dip it into the hot oil and deep fry the batter. Use chopsticks to slide shell off the mould, then continue deep frying until the shell is golden brown.
4. Repeat until all the batter is used. Store the shells in an air tight container. Set aside.
5. Next boil the strip of pork belly in some hot water. When it is cooked, remove and slice finely.
6. Peel the shells off the small prawns and keep the meat aside.
7. Take the prawn shells, fry it in a kuali with some hot oil. Remove it, then pound it.
8. In a bowl, put the prawn shells together with 1 rice bowl of water.
9. Mix it and squeeze the juice from the shells into the water, then strain the shells. Now we use the remaining water as prawn stock.
10. Heat up some oil in a kuali, then fry the chopped garlic until fragrant.
11. Add 1 tbsp of tau cheo and continue to fry.
12. Add in the prawns, the pork belly and stir fry.
13. Then add in the bamboo shoots, turnip, and the fried tau kwa strips and stir fry some more.
14. Add some black soya sauce for colour, some salt and sugar to taste, mix, pour in the prawn stock then simmer for about half an hour.
15. For the chilli sauce, pound 6 fresh red chillies with 5 pieces of garlic.
16. Mix the pounded chillies and garlic with 2 tbsps of sugar, 1 tbsp of light soya sauce and the juice from 6 limes. Mix well.
17. To eat, take the freshly made kueh pie tee moulds, fill each one up with some filling, top it off with some shredded crab meat, coriander leaf and some chilli sauce. Serve.