* 2 cups Basmati rice or long grain rice (washed and drained)
* 2 tablespoon tomato paste
* 3 tablespoon ghee
* 15 small onions, sliced
* 1 cup water
* 1 can of evaporated milk
* 4 candlenuts, ground
* 2 star anise
* 3 cloves
* 1 piece cinnamon bark
* Fried onions
* spring onions
1. Spoon in the ghee into the cooking pot and allow to cook for a minute.
2. Add in all the spices and cook for about two minutes.
3. Then mix in the rice, and cook for also about 2-3 minutes.
4. Then add water, milk and tomato paste and mix and blend them together with the rice. Boil the mixture until the rice is fully cooked.
5. When the rice is cooked, serve with the garnishings.
The taste of this traditional rice dish is sweeter because of the tomato paste (sometimes tomato puree is used) blended and mixed with the rice. Sometimes too, raisins and cashew-nuts are put in the mixture to give a more varied taste.
This delicious yellowish-red colored rice is normally eaten or taken with the rendang chicken and beef, opor daging, pineapple patcheri, dalcha, and other traditional dishes of the Malays.