Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
Dietary guidance: v
2/3 cup butter, cubed
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat; cook parsley and onions 3 minutes or until onions are just softened. Let cool.
3. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With your fingers, rub remaining butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles course crumbs.
4. Make a well in the centre of mixture, add parsley mixture and buttermilk to well. With fork, mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Turn dough out onto floured surface. With floured hands, gather dough into ball; knead gently 10 times or until smooth. Pat out dough into 1/2 inch thick square. Cut into 16 squares; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits have risen and are lightly brown. Serve warm.