Preparation time: 10-15mins
Cooking time: 15mins
Good sized Steak of your choice (sirloin, rump, whatever you fancy)
50g/2oz unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
1cm/½in piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
100g/3½oz wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
dash soy sauce (dark gives a stronger flavour)
50ml/2fl oz double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put a griddle pan on the stove to heat at a medium/high temperature. Meanwhile season your chosen steak with salt and freshly ground pepper, rubbing it in with half of the olive oil.
2. If the steak has a fatty edge, hold this edge into the pan, so that the steak is at right angles from the pan. This will ensure a nicely cooked edge.
3. Put the steak one side down into the pan and cook, truning once, until it is done to your preferred level. (for a HANDY HINT on cookings teak blind, see the bottom of this recipe).
4. For the wild mushroom sauce, heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, ginger and garlic until softened but not coloured.
5. Add the wild mushrooms and soy sauce and cook until the mushrooms have softened. Add the cream, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir well.
Serve with thick cut chips (french fries), onion rings and a good glass of red wine!
HANDY HINT: When cooking thick steaks, it is often very difficult to tell how rare or well done the steak is cooked without sticking a knife in or cutting the steak prior to serving. One way to tell is this.
1. With your right index finger, press down on the steak during cooking.
2. With your left hand, touch the tip of your thumb with the tip of each finger individually.
3. Each time you move to a new finger, use your right index finger to press on the ball of your left thumb. You will find that the ball gets progressively harder as your left thumb moves through your fingers from index to pinky.
4. Your desired level of cooking can be tested by comparing the firmness of the steak with the firmness of the ball of your left thumb as follows:
- Thumb & Index Finger = Rare
- Thumb & 2nd Finger = Medium/Rare
- Thumb & Ring Finger = Medium
- Thumb & Pinky = Well Done.
This method works everytime - it's brilliant!