Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 pie pumpkin, or 1 can of pureed pumpkin
1/2 C cream
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4-1/2 t cloves
1/4 -1/2 t allspice
hint of nutmeg
1 T maple syrup
**For a vegan version replace the eggs with about 1-2 Tablespoons cornstarch, and replace the cream with soy milk, and it comes out just as tasty.
This is a pate brisee recipe from joy of baking with 1 modification
2 1/2 Cup Flour
1 t salt
2 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1 C butter, chilled, cut into little cubes
1/4 C ice water
*in the picture I added some food coloring for a more halloween themed pie
** For a vegan crust, use earth balance instead, and it works just fine.
1) Cut the pumpking in half and roast cut side down at 350 degrees until you can easily poke a fork through it. This take about 15-20 minutes. When done, let it cool and then scoop out the pumpkin, stick it in a blender or food processor and puree it.
2) Mix everything together thoroughly.
1) Mix the flour, butter, salt, and cinnamon together until it's mealy. This is best done with a food processor or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. If you have neither, then use a fork.
2) next add in the ice water. Use a little more if you need to, but it should come together just fine and be a bit crumbly but stick together when pressure is applied. I never need more than a 1/4 cup ice water.
3) Chill for about an hour then take it out and let it sit for about 15 minutes on the counter. Then roll it out in a big cirlce.
4) Carefully pick it up and lay it in your pie pan and cut off excess around the edge. Use the excess to decorate the pie