Preparation time: 5min
Cooking time: 1hour20min
Dietary guidance: v v
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (or PAM cooking spray)
1/2 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 (24 ounce) can whole tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried parsley *
1/2 teaspoon dried basil *
* I use fresh basil and parsley to taste
1. On your cutting board, chop and smash the garlic into a paste with the salt.
2. Heat a large saucepan with the oil in it over medium-high heat (or just spray pan with PAM)
3. Add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes or until the onions are all brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 min
4. Add the vegetable broth to the pan and scrape the bottom to get all the"flavor" bits off of it.
5. Crush the tomatoes into the pan using your hand or a fork
6. Add the tomato paste, sugar, red pepper flakes and pepper. if using dried basil and parsley add now (if using fresh wait until end of cooking)
7. Stir to combined.
8. Bring to a soft boil, turn the heat to low, and cover.
9. Let it simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stir occasionally.
10. Add the fresh parsley and basil if using and serve