Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 45min
Dietary guidance: v
12 egg whites, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1 cup sifted cake and pastry flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Put egg whites into the clean large bowl of an electric mixer.
2. Set oven rack to lower third of oven, then preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
3. Sift 1/2 cup sugar with flour and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
4. Beat egg whites just until they become foamy. 5. Beat in cream of tartar and continue to beat, while gradually adding remaining 1 cup sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time. Beat just until droopy peaks form.
6. Using a large spatula, fold in flour-sugar mixture a quarter at a time. Fold in vanilla.
7. Immediately transfer batter to ungreased 10-inch (25-cm) angel food tube pan. Smooth the top. Run a knife two times around the batter in cake pan to eliminate any large air pockets. Smooth the top.
8. Bake on lower shelf until top of cake is golden, springs back when gently touched and a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes.
9. Leaving the cake in the pan, immediately invert the cake pan's tube onto the neck of a wine bottle or a sturdy bottle that tube opening will fit over. 10. Cool cake inverted in pan until completely cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
11. To remove cake from pan, run a thin bladed knife between cake and outside edge of pan as well as tube of pan. Tilt pan on it's side, rotate and firmly tap against counter to release cake. Remove pan from cake.