Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 40min
Dietary guidance: v
Butter or nonstick spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove or allspice
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups finely grated carrot
1 apple, peeled and grated (e.g. granny smith)
1 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
250 g package regular cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp finely grated orange, lemon or lime zest (or a mixture of all three)
2 tsp lemon juice
4 to 5 cups sifted icing sugar
One 250 g package regular cream cheese
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
2 tbsp (25 mL) honey
2 tbsp (25 mL) finely grated orange, lemon or lime zest (or a mixture of all three)
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
4 to 5 cups (1 to 1.25 L) sifted icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Butter two 9-inch (23-cm) layer pans or coat with nonstick spray; line bottom with circle of parchment or waxed paper.
3. Sift together flour with baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter until lighter in colour and slightly fluffy.
5. Slowly beat in honey, then eggs, one at a time. 6. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
7. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, stirring until just absorbed. Stir in carrots, apple and pecans.
8. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake in oven centre for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into cake centre comes out clean. 9.Cool on a rack for 10 minutes; then turn out to finish cooling on rack.
10. To make icing, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in butter, then honey, zest and lemon juice. Gradually add icing sugar until thick enough for spreading.
11. Spread between stacked layers, then over sides and top. Sprinkle with any extra zest or chopped pecans.