Preparation time: 5 Min
Cooking time: 25 Min
4 Steaks - Ribeye or Sirloin work best
1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Bunch fresh savory herbs (Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, etc)
4 Cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat broiler to high and arrange rack around 4 inches from the heating element. Place your broiler pan in the oven to heat up with the broiler.
(NOTE: Please use a real broiler pan with this recipe. Something that captures grease away from the food as it cooks. If you don't, at best you'll boil the steak in its own juices, and at worst you could start a fire.)
2. Pat steaks dry and apply salt and pepper to both sides.
3. When broiler and pan are heated, add the steaks. Broil for 12 - 18 minutes total, flipping once. Your average store-cut steak (around 3/4 inches thick) will generally cook 6 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. While steaks are cooking, combine oil, herbs and garlic in a micro-wave safe container. With a spoon, mash the garlic and herbs in the oil until broken up. Heat the oil for 1 minute on High.
(Note: We don't want to make the oil super hot- just get it warm so that the herbs and garlic flavor the oil.)
5. Transfer oil (carefully!!) to a pan/tray large enough to hold the steaks. When steaks are done, transfer them immediately to the oil. Toss them in the oil until coated fully. Cover the tray and let steaks rest for 5 minutes.
* Serve these with mellow sides that will not over-power the subtle flavors of the herb-infused oil.
* If using sirloin, consider slicing across the bias (perpendicular to the grain, and diagonal on the vertical axis) into thin strips.
* Also consider adding the remaining oil to cooked pasta along with some vegetables (Bell peppers, broccoli, peas). Toss in the strips of sirloin and some Parmesan cheese and you've got a complete meal in less than 30 mins.