Cooking time: ~1hr
1.5 kg onions
1.5 litres beef stock (made with instant beef cube+ hot water)
grated (emmental) cheese
salt & pepper
1. Peel onions and slice thinly
2. In a pot, melt butter over low- medium fire.
Add onions and cook till slightly golden, stirring consistently. Do not let onions burn, or soup will taste bitter.
3. Add in the beef stock. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cover and simmer over small fire for about 45 minutes.
*add a glass of red wine with the stock, if desired
4. when soup is about ready, cut baguette into bite size, spread with soften butter, and toast in the oven (180°C) for about 10 minutes till golden.
5. Fill up bowls with soup, add 2 slices of toasted bread on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese and grill in oven for a few minutes. Serve very hot.