Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 - 12 min
â€¢ 8 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate (1 cup â€“ 224 g)
â€¢ 2 sticks butter (1 cup - 224 g)
â€¢ 4 x eggs + 2 yolks
â€¢ 4 tbsp brown or white sugar (60 g)
â€¢ 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract or essence
â€¢ Pinch salt
â€¢ 4 tbsp flour (60 g)
â€¢ 6 x ramekins or a muffin pan
â€¢ 1 tbsp butter
â€¢ 2 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Fill a medium-sized pot one third full with water and bring to a simmer.
3. Fit a medium-sized bowl over the simmering water, add the chocolate and butter and let melt.
4. Meanwhile beat the eggs with sugar, vanilla and salt.
5. Pour in melted chocolate (cooled down) and mix well.
6. Sieve in the flour and fold it slowly in.
7. Rub each ramekin or the inside of each muffin mold with a thin film of butter.
8. Lightly sprinkle each with flour and shake to coat the inside.
9. Pour in the cake batter and place on a baking sheet.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the outside of the cakes are baked through but the centers are still a bit runny.
11. Let cool for a few minutes, the cakes will shrink a bit and pull away from the mold.
12. If necessary, run a paring knife around the edges of the cakes to loosen them.
13. Invert onto a plate or all at once onto another baking pan.
14. Garnish with a spoonful of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.