Dietary guidance: v
3 x apples
1 x lemon
1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
2 x eggs
1 tbsp butter, melted
Vegetable oil for frying
1.Peel apples, then cut horizontally into 1/4-inch thick round slices. Use a paring knife or a round cookie cutter to press out the center, creating an apple ring with an exterior that is approximately 1/4-inch in thickness (i.e., like an onion ring). Drizzle with lemon juice to preserve color.
4. In a medium bowl, add flower, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a second medium bowl, add milk, one egg yolk and butter.
4. In a third medium bowl, add 2 egg whites and beat until peaks are stiff.
5. Whisk contents of bowl #1 into bowl #2 until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites.
6. Pour oil into a medium, pot until it is 2 inches deep. Heat oil until it reaches 350°F.
7. Dip apple rings into batter, then fry for approximately 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn once.
8. Serve in an onion ring basket with syrup.