Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 -30 minutes
Dietary guidance: v
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
18 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache Glaze (optional)
2/3 cup heavy cream
6 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces white chocolate, melted and placed in a decorating bag with tiny tip (or a ziplock baggie with one corner cut off)
1. Make certain the oven rack is in the center position and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil so that the foil extends 2 inches beyond the two long sides of the pan and butter the bottom and sides of foiled pans.
3. In a medium pot combine the butter and sugars; cook until melted and very hot.
4. Sift together the salt and flour.
5. Chop the chocolates in a food processor and mix in the hot butter mixture until all the chocolate is melted.
6. Add eggs and vanilla- mix until combined.
7. Add flour-salt mixture and stir until just combined.
8. Scrape into prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
9. Bake 25- 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it-- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
10. Cool brownies completely on a rack in the pan before lifting them out using the foil as handles.
11. If glazing do so now; allow the ganache to set a little before drizzling the melted white chocolate over top.
12. Peel off the foil and cut.