Dietary guidance: v
* 2 cups honey
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup water
* 1 tbs grated orange rind
* 1 tbs orange juice
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 14 phyllo dough sheets
* 1 cup melted butter
* 2 cups toasted almonds, walnuts, pistachios and/or pecans-- chopped or ground finely
1. In a saucepan, bring the honey, water, sugar, orange rind and juice, and cinnamon to a boil. Boil over low heat for 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.
1. Grease a shallow baking pan. Line with 4 phyllo sheets, brushing EACH ONE with melted butter (use a pastry brush).
2. Spread a layer of ground nuts evenly over the pyllo. Drizzle some melted butter and syrup over them.
3. Cover with 2 additional sheets, brushing each one with butter. Repeat this procedure 3 times. Cover the last layer of nuts/butter/syrup with the remaining four sheets of phyllo (brush each with butter)
4. Press the philo against the rim of the pan, trim with a sharp knife if necessary. Cut through the top layers of phyllo diagonally to make about 24 equal diamond shapes.
5. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Increase the heat to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until golden brown.
6. Pour cooled syrup on top and let the baklava cool. Slice all the way through the previous slices to make 24 diamond-shaped bars. Brush the top with the remaining butter.