Dietary guidance: v
1 lb. Phyllo dough.
4 to 5 cups walnuts, chopped in food processor. You can also use pistachios
½ cup sugar.
¼ tsp. ground cloves.
1 tsp. cinnamon.
¾ lb. sweet butter. (3 sticks)
1. Combine nuts, cinnamon, cloves, and sugar.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan.
3. Use pastry brush to brush inside of a 14 X 10 ½ inch pan with melted butter.
4. Line bottom of pan with one piece of Phyllo dough. Fold under excess Phyllo.
5. Alternate sides with each piece of Phyllo, brushing the top of each layer with melted butter.
6. Repeat six (6) times, making six layers.
7. On the 6th sheet, sprinkle evenly with nut mixture.
8. Continue layering butter sheets until all nut mixture is used and use 6-10 more buttered sheets of Phyllo to form top crust.
9. Use a sharp knife to cut into diamond shapes.
10. Bake at 300° F for about 1 ½ hours or until lightly brown.
The Syrup: I eyeball how much of the syrup to pore so not to flood the baklava. The syrup will be liquid (not very thick) after it is done boiling.
1 1/4 cups of water.
1 1/2 cups sugar.
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice.
1/2 tsp. vanilla.
1. Combine syrup ingredients. Boil syrup for about 5-7 minutes and then allow to cool.
2. Pour cooled syrup over hot pastry.
3. Each individual Baklava slice can be served on a bake paper cup (cup cake cups).