Serves: 1 Dozen
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C. butter, softened
3/4 C. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel. divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 C. powdered sugar
4 to 5 tsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl of electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 Tbsp. lemon peel and vanilla until well blended. Beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended.
3. Drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, spaceing 3 inches apart. Flatten dough until 3 inchs in diameter with bottom of glass that has been dipped in additional sugar.
4. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are just set and edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
5. Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon peel in small bowl; drizzle mixture over cookies. Let stand until icing is set.