1 (3-1/2 to 4lb) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up OR
2-3lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or strips
2 Tblsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 Tblsp brown sugar
2 Tblsp water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 cup slivered almonds, optional
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in the oil on both sides. Transfer to crockpot.
2. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic and ginger; pour over chicken.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
4. Reduce heat to LOW; cook 4-5 hours longer or until the meat juices run clear.
5. Remove chicken to a serving platter; sprinkle with almonds. Spoon juices over chicken or thicken juices if desired.
NOTE: This is a great recipe. I didn't do the crockpot on high for 1 hour, I just kepted it on low.
I would double the sauce that is placed over the chicken and then thicken it before using it as a sauce over cooked rice and broccoli, which goes great with it.