Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Serves: Makes 18 large muffins.
Dietary guidance: v
*1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
*1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
*1 cup White Sugar
*1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
*2 tsps Baking Powder
*1/2 tsp Baking Soda
*1/2 tsp Salt
*2 cups Grated Carrots
*1 Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
*1 cup Raisins
*2 Egg Whites
*1/2 cup Apple Butter
*1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
*1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
*2 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
*2 tbsp Toasted Wheat Germ
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil muffin cups, or spray with nonstick cooking spray, or line with baking cups.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, apple butter, oil and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
4. In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.
*Substitute applesauce for the apple butter.
*Substitute canned peaches, drained and mashed with a hand-blender, for the apple butter, and add 1/4 cup wheat bran to dry mixture.
*Use a combination of 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tsps almond extract.