Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
½ Cup Icing Sugar
2/3 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter (!!!NOT MARGARINE!!!)
¾ Cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
2 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (about 5-6 lemons)
1 ½ Cups Sweetened, Shredded Coconut
2 Cups Whole Frozen or Fresh Cranberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place 1 ½ cups Flour and icing sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Whirl until blended. Cut butter in to cubes and add slowly to flour and icing sugar mixture. Pulse until fine crumbs form. You can also use a pastry blender instead. Turn mixture into baking dish and press evenly over bottom to form crust. Bake in the center of a 350°F oven until edges are golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325°F.
2. In a small bowl sift together ¾ cup of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice. Gradually mix in flour mixture just until blended. Stir in Coconut until evenly distributed, then stir in Whole Cranberries. Remember if using frozen berries, do not thaw them.
3. Pour mixture over hot, baked crust, making sure the cranberries are evenly distributed. Bake in the centre of a 325°F oven until centre is set and edges are deep golden, from 35 to 55 minutes depending on the oven. It is important not to raise the heat on your oven as you will bake the outsides too quickly. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack. Cut into squares and enjoy.
1. I sometimes use frozen blueberries for those who donâ€™t like cranberries.
2. If you find that 1 cup of straight lemon juice is too acidic, then try using ¾ of a cup of lemon juice and ¼ of a cup of water to cut down on the acidity.
3. You can also replace the lemon juice with 1 Cup of freshly squeezed orange juice instead for a different experience. The orange flavour also goes really well with the cranberries.
4. Omit the berries and the Lemon Juice. Instead use ¾ of a cup of freshly squeezed lime Juice and ¼ of a cup of coconut milk. Add a ½ a cup of extra coconut to the mix. Yum.