1. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a large mixing bowl. Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture forms marble-sized doughballs. Add the water 1 teaspoon at a time, just enough to bring the dough together with a firm consistency.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pot over medium-low heat until hot
3. Break off pieces and Form the dough into slightly flattened biscuits, about 2 inches across. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough well, for about five minutes.
4. Fry the Johnny Cakes, uncrowded, in the hot oil only until they become golden--(Approx about 2- 3 minutes)
5. Remove they Johnny cakes with and drain on a paper towels to absorb the extra vegetable oil.