* 4 medium potatoes, cubed
* 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
* 6 small pearl onions
* 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
* 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-3 inch Strips
* 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
* 1 large tart apple, cubed
* 1 1/2 cups apple cider
* 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
* 1 cup Chicken Broth
* 1 bay leaf
* Minced fresh parsley
Note: If you increase the recipe to serve more people do NOT use more cider vinegar.
1. In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Pour in chicken broth. Combine salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over vegetables. In a skillet, saute chicken in olive oil until browned; transfer to slow cooker. Top with apple and pearl onions. Combine apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Top with bay leaf.
2. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear. Discard bay leaf. Add 2 cups of stock to a roux to make gravy. Use gravy as needed. Sprinkle with parsley.