Preparation time: 40 min + cooling
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Dietary guidance: v
2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
1/2 medium white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
10 cubes of mozzarella cheese, roughly 1/2 - 3/4 inches in height.
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup italian bread crumbs
salt & pepper
2 tbl olive oil, divided
frying oil for frying
1. Saute onion in 1 tbl olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add rice to onion in pan, stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
3. Add 4 cups chicken stock to rice, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover with tight fitting lid and let simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Cool rice until cool enough to handle in bowl or on sheet pan.
5. Meanwhile saute garlic in remaining 1 tbl olive oil in small fry pan for 2-4 minutes over medium heat. Do NOT brown. Put aside.
6. When rice is cool, transfer to large mixing bowl. Add garlic, Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, parsley, salt & pepper to rice. Mix. Form mixture into 10 balls roughly the size of small oranges, 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Rinse hands every 2 balls or so, as your hands will be quite sticky.
7. Poke hole into center of ball with two fingers, insert cube of mozzarella cheese, reform ball to create seal over cheese. Repeat until all balls are stuffed.
8. Crack 2 remaining eggs into small bowl or pie plate, lightly scramble. Put bread crumbs into another small bowl or pie plate. Coat each ball first in egg mixture then in bread crumbs, set aside.
9. Carefully fry the balls in frying oil heated to 350 degrees in small batches for 3-4 minutes each, until slightly darkened golden brown on the outside. Drain.
10. Serve warm either alone or with a marinara or dipping sauce of your choosing.